Friday, August 12, 2011

!i! Mesa Verde !i!

We just got back from the Lokey family vacation down to Mesa Verda National park in Colorado in the four corners area. I have to admit that I have never heard of this place before so I had no idea what it was that we were doing for this trip.

A.J. and I left right after I got off work on Friday. It is about a six hour drive. I love going on trips with A.J. because we just laugh and be silly the entire way. We arrived down there at about 9:00 pm. We stopped in Cortez and ate dinner at subway and then we entered the park. It was pouring and there was a lightening storm.

Since I am not a camper, A.J. and I stayed in the lodge...which was...interesting. It was a clean, rustic lodge with no TV and we had to "upgrade" to get air conditioning, but there WAS a wine list and they would deliver it straight to your room. There was also a fancy schmancy restaurant called "the Matate room." We glanced at each other and knew exactly what the other was thinking. Seriously?

We arrived to our room, dropped off our things, and drove down to the campsite where the rest of the Lokeys were camping. Our lodge was about 11 miles away (approx 20 min) through the winding road. After a six hour drive and driving back and forth through that winding road, I was car sick! We roasted massive mellows and made s'mores, and swatted at bugs. Well...I swatted at bugs.

The next day we got up early, had breakfast, and visited the Indian runes. We toured 2 of the cliff houses. It was amazing to see these up close. They are 700 yrs old and still standing. It was interesting to think that people lived here and what their daily life would have been like.


There were tight squeezes...

Low ceilings...

And latters...so many latters!!

I am afraid of latters. They seem rickety. Although these ones were sturdy and bolted in on both ends. The first latter was 32 feet. The tour guide seemed very nervous about the latter which added to my anxiety. My legs were shaking to the point that I could not control them and I was afraid they would buckle. I have never had my legs shake that badly before. The next day my ankles were sore. But I made it up that one and the next 10 throughout the day and I think I conquered my fear.
We saw about fifty trillion "Kivas"... give or take a couple.

Then we did the "Mesa Loop" which is a drive with views of ancient village runes.

The next morning, I wanted a picture of the sunrise. So A.J. was sweet enough to wake up bleary eyed, take the picture for me, and go back to sleep. I have the best husband in the world!

Then we got up and visited a few of the older runes in the park.

Eventually we met up with everyone and did a hike to the petroglyphs.

The question of the day was "Where are they supposed to be?" We kept hiking and hiking and hiking and still no petroglyphs. We thought maybe we had missed them.

Surely behind this curve. ... Surely up ahead. Still no petroglyphs.

We came across what was left of an Indian house.

Finally... we found them!

We climbed our way out of the canyon to the top of a mesa. The view was amazing!


Then we packed up and started the 6 hr drive back home. We had lunch in Moab. I have never been to Moab before and everything seemed so RED. It was beautiful. A.J. promised to take me back there someday.

I had such a fun time on this trip! I am so glad A.J. and I were able to go with the rest of the Lokeys. And, as always, I was grateful I was able to go with my bestest friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home