Monday, January 23, 2012

!i! The Great Power Outage of 2012 !i!

Okay...maybe it wasn't the biggest power outage of 2012, but it certainly was an adventure. Saturday afternoon, I was driving home from work. I turned onto 10th east and the cars were all being diverted in another direction. I wondered what was going on. Then I looked up. Suspended in all the power lines and wires was the top of a power pole. It had been seared right off! Later I found out it was caused by a fire.

I thought to myself, 'I wonder if our power will be out.' When I got home, I discovered that our power was, in fact, out. At first, I thought 'this might be kind of fun. I haven't been without power for years and years!' Then I discovered how electricity powers EVERYTHING! I had to take my shower in the dark with a lantern. I couldn't dry my hair. I put my makeup in the dark. I couldn't tell what time it was. My food was cold. I couldn't listen to any music or TV. I was cold...and bored!

We decided to run some errands to waste some time and to get warm. By this time, it had started to snow. We left for the night. Surely the power would come back on by the time we got home later that night. Around 10 pm we checked the power company's web site and, sure enough, estimated restoration time was 3 a.m. There was no way we could sleep in our apartment with the power off. The thermostat read 64 degrees when we left and it could only go down from there.

So we drove home to pack our things. By this point, the thermostat read 60 degrees. We were gathering our things with flashlights and we felt like we were looting. My parents were gracious enough to let us sleep at their home. It was nice to have somewhere warm to sleep and I was worried about those who didn't.

By the time we awoke, the power had come back on at our apartment so we headed home. When we got home, we immediately checked the thermostat. It read:
...And with that, we turned on the heater. We had survived the great power outage of 2012.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

I didn't know there was a power outage around these parts! All I know is that I hate being cold and I'm glad you made it through. And yes we'll have to get together for the dancing and organize Zumba/Jazzercise :)

January 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home