Tuesday, October 4, 2011

!i! Day 5 in Hawaii !i!

Unfortunately, our vacation was coming to an end. This was our last full day in Hawaii and we wanted to make the most of it. We woke up early to get our daily dose of sugar: the malasadas. We enjoyed every single sugary bite!

After our healthy breakfast, we decided to get some last minute snorkeling in. Snorkeling ended up being our favorite part of our vacation! We went back to Shark's Cove and this time, we discovered the actual Shark's Cove. Turns out we have only been snorkeling in the tide pools. Shark's Cove has huge fish, bright coral, but way too many people...and there was no protection from sharks. Keeping my anxiety at bay, we explored together and ended up having a lot of fun.After snorkeling Shark's Cove, we headed over the the town of Kahuku. If you ever go to Hawaii, you have to eat at the Kahuku Grill. They have the best food on the island! The inside is a giant mural of Kahuku and Laie. It is way awesome!
After lunch, we went as far north as we could go. We stopped at a rather rocky beach where the road ended. This was an awesome beach because we were practically the only people here! On the way, we passed people wind surfing and even kite surfing! We sat on a log and watched them.Then we just had to visit the turtles one last time. Finally, there was one out basking in the sun. During our entire trip, none of the sea turtles had been out on the sand. They were mostly in the water and on the rocks eating the sea weed.

Meet Brutus. He was the first documented sea turtle on this beach a few years ago. He looks so content!
By the time we arrived, this guy had been sleeping on the beach for five hours! Every now and then, he'd open his eyes and look around, then slowly close them and drift back off to sleep. I wouldn't mind taking a nap on the beach...but I'm afraid if I did, my skin would look like that!
Finally, it was time to head back to Sunset Beach to watch the sun set for the last time. It was bittersweet. But while we waited, I decided I wanted to bury A.J. He was a good sport...even helping me dig the hole. While digging, we uncovered this strange looking guy who scurried sideways into the waves.
As unnerving as it was to uncover a crazy looking crab, A.J. still agreed to climb in the hole and let me bury him with sand. On one occasion he yelled that there was a crab crawling on him. Sure enough, there it was on his shoulder trying to bury itself further...a crab the size of a dime.
And finally, my creation was complete:
There was a 3 yr old boy who walked past us and could not stop laughing. As he passed, he turned around and walked backwards giggling the entire time. Like I said...A.J. was a good sport.

After turning my husband into a whale, I decided I wanted to build a sandcastle and with A.J.'s help, it was protected from the waves.
I finished my castle just as the sun was setting. We watched the bright colors of the sky and the waves crashing onto the shore and soaked up every moment of it. This was the last sunset we would experience in Hawaii and we knew that real life was waiting for us when we got home. But for now, we could snuggle close together listening to the sounds of the ocean and feeling the damp ocean breeze across our faces and memorize every last moment in paradise.
Fittingly, on our last day in Hawaii, my flip flops that I have owned since I was twelve...that I wore every day in Hawaii for three consecutive trips...snapped.
We came back to the hotel and went to bed. We had a long day ahead of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home